Journal of Dairy Science: American Dairy Science Association
Journal of Animal Science: American Society of Animal Science
The Professional Animal Scientist: American Registry of Professional Animal Scientists
- Kertz, link A.F., help L.R. Prewitt, A.G. Lane, and J.R. Campbell. 1970.
Effect of dietary protein intake on creatinine excretion and the creatinine-nitrogen ratio in bovine urine.
J. Anim. Sci. 30:278.
- Prewitt, L.R., A.F. Kertz, A.G. Lane, J.R. Campbell, and D.E. Weinman, 1971.
Effects of dietary protein on blood, urine, and milk composition.
Am. J. Vet. Res. 32:393.
- Kertz, A. F. and J.P. Everett, Jr. 1975.
Utilization of urea by lactating cows–an industry viewpoint.
J. Anim. Sci. 41:945-953. (Symposium)
- Kertz, A. F. and J.P. Everett, Jr. 1976.
Lifespan efficiencies of grain and forage utilization by lactating cows relative to milk yield.
J. Dairy Sci. 59:775-785.
- Kertz, A.F., M.K. Brockett, L.E. Davidson, and N.L. Betz. 1977.
Influence of ambient ammonia odor on acceptance of a nonurea ration by lactating cows.
J. Dairy Sci. 60:788.
- Kertz, A.F., 1977.
Calf health, performance, and experimental results under a commercial-research facility and program.
J. Dairy Sci. 60:1006. (Invitational paper)
- Kertz, A.F., L.R. Prewitt, and J.P. Everett, Jr. 1979.
An early weaning calf program: summarization and review.
J. Dairy Sci. 62:1835.
- Fortin, A., S. Simpfendorfer, J.T. Reid, H.J. Ayala, R. Anrique, and A.F. Kertz. 1980.
Effect of level of energy intake and influence of breed and sex on the chemical composition of cattle.
J. Anim. Sci. 51:604.
- Fortin, A., J.T. Reid, S. Simpfendorfer, H.J. Ayala, R. Anrique, A.F. Kertz, A.M. Maiga, D.W. Sim, and G.H. Wellington. 1981.
Chemical composition and carcass specific gravity in cattle: effect of level of energy intake and influence of breed and sex.
Can. J. Anim. Sci. 61:871.
- Kertz, A.F., B.K. Darcy, and L.R. Prewitt. 1981.
Eating rate of lactating cows fed four physical forms of the same grain ration.
J. Dairy Sci. 64:2388.
- Kertz, A.F., M.K. Koepke, L.E. Davidson, N.L. Betz, J.R. Norris, L.V. Skoch, B.R. Cords, and D.T. Hopkins. 1982.
Factors influencing intake of high urea-containing rations by lactating dairy cows.
J. Dairy Sci. 65:587.
- Kertz, A.F., L.E. Davidson, B.R. Cords, and H.C. Puch. 1983.
Ruminal infusion of ammonium chloride in lactating cows to determine effect of pH on ammonia trapping.
J. Dairy Sci. 66:2597.
- Kertz, A.F., L.F. Reutzel, and J. H Mahoney. 1984.
Ad libitum water intake by neonatal calves and its relationship to calf starter intake, weight gain, feces score and season.
J. Dairy Sci. 67:2964.
- Kertz, A.F., L.R. Prewitt, and J.M. Ballam, 1987.
Increased weight gain and effects on growth parameters of Holstein heifer calves from 3 to 12 months of age.
J. Dairy Sci. 70:1612.
- Kertz, A.F., L.F. Reutzel, and G.M. Thomson. 1991.
Dry matter intake from parturition to mid-lactation.
J. Dairy Sci. 74:2290.
- Emmons, D. B. and A. F. Kertz. 1992.
Borden Symposium: Effect of new milk protein determination technologies on the dairy industry: crude versus true protein. Introduction.
J. Dairy Sci. 75:3191.
- Standaert, F.E., D.A Deetz, R.W. Palmer, and A.F. Kertz. 1994.
A model to estimate total costs for dairy commodity feeding programs.
The Prof. Animal Scientist 10:102-111.
- Kertz, A. F. 1996.
Animal care and use: An issue now and in the future.
J. Anim. Sci. 74:257-261. (Invitational paper)
- Kertz, A. F., L. F. Reutzel, B. A. Barton, and R. L. Ely. 1997.
Body weight, body condition score, and wither height of prepartum Holstein cows and body weight and sex of calves by parity.
A database and summary. J. Dairy Sci. 80:525-529.
- Kertz, A. F., B. A. Barton, and L. F. Reutzel. 1998.
Relative efficiencies of wither height and body weight increase from birth until first calving in Holstein cattle.
J. Dairy Sci. 81:1479-1482.
- Kertz, A. F. 1998.
Variability in delivery of nutrients to lactating dairy cows.
J. Dairy Sci. 81:3075-3084. (Symposium).
- Kertz, A. F. and H. Chester-Jones. 2004.
Guidelines for measuring and reporting calf and heifer experimental data.
J. Dairy Sci. 87:3577-3580. (Invited Review)
- Porter, J. C., R. G. Warner, and A. F. Kertz. 2007.
Effect of fiber level and physical form of starter on growth and development of dairy calves fed no forage.
The Prof. Anim. Scientist 23:395-400.
- Kertz, A. F. 2007.
Letter to the Editor: Pelleted calf starter with straw access can confound results: A comment on Bach et al.
J. Dairy Sci. 90:4924.
- Rastani, R. R. and A. F. Kertz. 2008.
Letter to the Editor: Differences in forage to concentrate ratios can confound results: a comment on Petit et al.
J. Dairy Sci. 91-2533.
- Kertz, A. F. 2010.
Review: Urea feeding to dairy cattle: A historical perspective and review.
The Prof. Anim. Scientist 26:257-272.
- Thornsberry, R. M. and A. F. Kertz. 2010.
Veterinary Related Issues Associated with Feeding Free Fatty Acids to Dairy Cows Pre- and Postpartum.
The Bovine Practitioner, 44:1-11.
- Fokkink, W. B., T. M. Hill, H. G. Bateman II, J. M. Aldrich, R. L. Schlotterbeck, and A. F. Kertz. 2011.
Case Study: Effect of high-and low-cereal-grain starters on straw intake and rumen development of neonatal Holstein calves. Prof. Anim. Scientist, 27:357-364.
- Stamey, J. A., N. A. Janovick, A. F. Kertz, and J. K. Drackley. 2012. Influence of starter protein content on growth of dairy calves in an enhanced early nutrition program. J. Dairy Sci. 95:3327-3336.
- Bernard, J. K., J. J. Castro, and A. F. Kertz. 2012. Performance and metabolic measures of lactating dairy cows fed diets supplemented with mostly saturated or more unsaturated fatty acids. Prof. Anim. Scientist, 28:494-501.
- Kertz, A. F. and J. R. Loften. 2013. A historical perspective and brief review: Holstein dairy calf milk replacer feeding programs in the U.S. Prof. Anim. Scientist 29: 321-332.
- Bernard, J. K., J. J. Castro, A. F. Kertz, and M. R. Murphy. 2013. Effect of milk replacer carbohydrate sources on performance and health of dairy calves. Prof. Anim. Scientist 29:463-466.
- Litherland, N. B., D. N. L. Da Silva, R. J. LaBerge, J. Schafers, and A. Kertz. 2014. Supplemental fat for dairy calves during mild cold weather. J. Dairy Sci. 97:2980-2989.
- Loften, J. R., J. G. Linn, J. K. Drackley, T. C. Jenkins, C. G. Soderholm, and A. F. Kertz. 2014. Invited review: Palmitic and stearic acid metabolism in lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 97:4661-4674.
- Thornsberry, R. M., D. Wood, A. F. Kertz, and D. Hutcheson. 2016. Alternative ingredients in calf milk replacer – a review for bovine practitioners. The Bovine Practitioner, 50 (No.1):1-24.
- Kertz, A. F. 2017. Letter to the Editor: A call for more complete reporting and evaluation of experimental methods, physical form of starters, and results in calf research. J. Dairy Sci. 100:851-852.
- Kertz, A. F., T. M. Hill, J. D. Quigley III, A. J. Heinrichs, J. G. Linn, and J. K. Drackley. 2017. Calf Nutrition and Management: A 100-Year Historical Review. J. Dairy Sci. 100:10151–10172.
- Kertz, A. F. 2020. Letter to Editor: Disposition of transition milk in US dairies, Appl. Anim. Sci. 36:291.
- Bernard, J. K., A. F. Kertz, S. Tao, and C. Soderholm. 2020. Effects of replacing finely ground corn with whey permeate on the performance of early- and mid-lactation dairy cows. Appl. Anim. Sci. 36:495-502.
- Du, C. L. Ma, Y.G. Zhen, A. F. Kertz, W. J. Zhang and D. P. Bu. 2021. Effects of different physical forms of starter on digestibility, growth, health, selected rumen parameters and blood metabolites in Holstein calves. Anim. Feed Sci, and Tech. 271.114759.
- Ghaffari, M, and A, F, Kertz. 2021. Review: Effects of different forms of calf starters on feed intake and growth rate: A systematic review and Bayesian meta-analysis of studies from 1938 to 2020. Appl. Anim. Sci. 37:273–293.
- Bach, A., J. Ahedo, and A. Kertz. Invited Review: Advances in efficiency of growing dairy replacements. Appl. Anim. Sci. 37: