Journal of Dairy Science: American Dairy Science Association
Journal of Animal Science: American Society of Animal Science
The Professional Animal Scientist: American Registry of Professional Animal Scientists
- Kertz, link A.F., help L.R. Prewitt, A.G. Lane, and J.R. Campbell. 1970.
Effect of dietary protein intake on creatinine excretion and the creatinine-nitrogen ratio in bovine urine.
J. Anim. Sci. 30:278.
- Prewitt, L.R., A.F. Kertz, A.G. Lane, J.R. Campbell, and D.E. Weinman, 1971.
Effects of dietary protein on blood, urine, and milk composition.
Am. J. Vet. Res. 32:393.
- Kertz, A. F. and J.P. Everett, Jr. 1975.
Utilization of urea by lactating cows–an industry viewpoint.
J. Anim. Sci. 41:945-953. (Symposium)
- Kertz, A. F. and J.P. Everett, Jr. 1976.
Lifespan efficiencies of grain and forage utilization by lactating cows relative to milk yield.
J. Dairy Sci. 59:775-785.
- Kertz, A.F., M.K. Brockett, L.E. Davidson, and N.L. Betz. 1977.
Influence of ambient ammonia odor on acceptance of a nonurea ration by lactating cows.
J. Dairy Sci. 60:788.
- Kertz, A.F., 1977.
Calf health, performance, and experimental results under a commercial-research facility and program.
J. Dairy Sci. 60:1006. (Invitational paper)
- Kertz, A.F., L.R. Prewitt, and J.P. Everett, Jr. 1979.
An early weaning calf program: summarization and review.
J. Dairy Sci. 62:1835.
- Fortin, A., S. Simpfendorfer, J.T. Reid, H.J. Ayala, R. Anrique, and A.F. Kertz. 1980.
Effect of level of energy intake and influence of breed and sex on the chemical composition of cattle.
J. Anim. Sci. 51:604.
- Fortin, A., J.T. Reid, S. Simpfendorfer, H.J. Ayala, R. Anrique, A.F. Kertz, A.M. Maiga, D.W. Sim, and G.H. Wellington. 1981.
Chemical composition and carcass specific gravity in cattle: effect of level of energy intake and influence of breed and sex.
Can. J. Anim. Sci. 61:871.
- Kertz, A.F., B.K. Darcy, and L.R. Prewitt. 1981.
Eating rate of lactating cows fed four physical forms of the same grain ration.
J. Dairy Sci. 64:2388.
- Kertz, A.F., M.K. Koepke, L.E. Davidson, N.L. Betz, J.R. Norris, L.V. Skoch, B.R. Cords, and D.T. Hopkins. 1982.
Factors influencing intake of high urea-containing rations by lactating dairy cows.
J. Dairy Sci. 65:587.
- Kertz, A.F., L.E. Davidson, B.R. Cords, and H.C. Puch. 1983.
Ruminal infusion of ammonium chloride in lactating cows to determine effect of pH on ammonia trapping.
J. Dairy Sci. 66:2597.
- Kertz, A.F., L.F. Reutzel, and J. H Mahoney. 1984.
Ad libitum water intake by neonatal calves and its relationship to calf starter intake, weight gain, feces score and season.
J. Dairy Sci. 67:2964.
- Kertz, A.F., L.R. Prewitt, and J.M. Ballam, 1987.
Increased weight gain and effects on growth parameters of Holstein heifer calves from 3 to 12 months of age.
J. Dairy Sci. 70:1612.
- Kertz, A.F., L.F. Reutzel, and G.M. Thomson. 1991.
Dry matter intake from parturition to mid-lactation.
J. Dairy Sci. 74:2290.
- Emmons, D. B. and A. F. Kertz. 1992.
Borden Symposium: Effect of new milk protein determination technologies on the dairy industry: crude versus true protein. Introduction.
J. Dairy Sci. 75:3191.
- Standaert, F.E., D.A Deetz, R.W. Palmer, and A.F. Kertz. 1994.
A model to estimate total costs for dairy commodity feeding programs.
The Prof. Animal Scientist 10:102-111.
- Kertz, A. F. 1996.
Animal care and use: An issue now and in the future.
J. Anim. Sci. 74:257-261. (Invitational paper)
- Kertz, A. F., L. F. Reutzel, B. A. Barton, and R. L. Ely. 1997.
Body weight, body condition score, and wither height of prepartum Holstein cows and body weight and sex of calves by parity.
A database and summary. J. Dairy Sci. 80:525-529.
- Kertz, A. F., B. A. Barton, and L. F. Reutzel. 1998.
Relative efficiencies of wither height and body weight increase from birth until first calving in Holstein cattle.
J. Dairy Sci. 81:1479-1482.
- Kertz, A. F. 1998.
Variability in delivery of nutrients to lactating dairy cows.
J. Dairy Sci. 81:3075-3084. (Symposium).
- Kertz, A. F. and H. Chester-Jones. 2004.
Guidelines for measuring and reporting calf and heifer experimental data.
J. Dairy Sci. 87:3577-3580. (Invited Review)
- Porter, J. C., R. G. Warner, and A. F. Kertz. 2007.
Effect of fiber level and physical form of starter on growth and development of dairy calves fed no forage.
The Prof. Anim. Scientist 23:395-400.
- Kertz, A. F. 2007.
Letter to the Editor: Pelleted calf starter with straw access can confound results: A comment on Bach et al.
J. Dairy Sci. 90:4924.
- Rastani, R. R. and A. F. Kertz. 2008.
Letter to the Editor: Differences in forage to concentrate ratios can confound results: a comment on Petit et al.
J. Dairy Sci. 91-2533.
- Kertz, A. F. 2010.
Review: Urea feeding to dairy cattle: A historical perspective and review.
The Prof. Anim. Scientist 26:257-272.
- Thornsberry, R. M. and A. F. Kertz. 2010.
Veterinary Related Issues Associated with Feeding Free Fatty Acids to Dairy Cows Pre- and Postpartum.
The Bovine Practitioner, 44:1-11.
- Fokkink, W. B., T. M. Hill, H. G. Bateman II, J. M. Aldrich, R. L. Schlotterbeck, and A. F. Kertz. 2011.
Case Study: Effect of high-and low-cereal-grain starters on straw intake and rumen development of neonatal Holstein calves. Prof. Anim. Scientist, 27:357-364.
- Stamey, J. A., N. A. Janovick, A. F. Kertz, and J. K. Drackley. 2012. Influence of starter protein content on growth of dairy calves in an enhanced early nutrition program. J. Dairy Sci. 95:3327-3336.
- Bernard, J. K., J. J. Castro, and A. F. Kertz. 2012. Performance and metabolic measures of lactating dairy cows fed diets supplemented with mostly saturated or more unsaturated fatty acids. Prof. Anim. Scientist, 28:494-501.
- Kertz, A. F. and J. R. Loften. 2013. A historical perspective and brief review: Holstein dairy calf milk replacer feeding programs in the U.S. Prof. Anim. Scientist 29: 321-332.
- Bernard, J. K., J. J. Castro, A. F. Kertz, and M. R. Murphy. 2013. Effect of milk replacer carbohydrate sources on performance and health of dairy calves. Prof. Anim. Scientist 29:463-466.
- Litherland, N. B., D. N. L. Da Silva, R. J. LaBerge, J. Schafers, and A. Kertz. 2014. Supplemental fat for dairy calves during mild cold weather. J. Dairy Sci. 97:2980-2989.
- Loften, J. R., J. G. Linn, J. K. Drackley, T. C. Jenkins, C. G. Soderholm, and A. F. Kertz. 2014. Invited review: Palmitic and stearic acid metabolism in lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 97:4661-4674.
- Thornsberry, R. M., D. Wood, A. F. Kertz, and D. Hutcheson. 2016. Alternative ingredients in calf milk replacer – a review for bovine practitioners. The Bovine Practitioner, 50 (No.1):1-24.
- Kertz, A. F. 2017. Letter to the Editor: A call for more complete reporting and evaluation of experimental methods, physical form of starters, and results in calf research. J. Dairy Sci. 100:851-852.
- Kertz, A. F., T. M. Hill, J. D. Quigley III, A. J. Heinrichs, J. G. Linn, and J. K. Drackley. 2017. Calf Nutrition and Management: A 100-Year Historical Review. J. Dairy Sci. 100: (accepted for publication).