A. Experience and Ability
- Nutrition, feeding, and management of dairy cattle from calf, heifer, nonlactating, and through lactating stages
- Extensive experience in research and development of feed products and programs for all of these stages
- On-farm consulting and training of on-farm consultants for 10 years throughout the United States
- About 20 years of similar experience in countries outside the U.S., notably in Canada, Mexico, Latin America, Spain, Italy, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia, South Korea, Brazil, China, Iran, and Russia in addition to technical support in other countries
- Currently, in private consulting business in the U.S. and other countries with clientele in various companies, agencies, organizations, and publications, including as a reviewer for the 2001 National Research Council (www.nationalacademies.org/nrc) publication on Nutrient Requirements of Dairy Cattle, and columnist for both Feedstuffs (“The Weekly Newspaper for Agribusiness”) (www.feedstuffs.com) and Hoard’s Dairyman (www.hoards.com).
- Recently, writing articles for The Progressive Dairy (www.progressivedairy.com)
- Book Author: Dairy Calf and Heifer Feeding and Management—Some Key Concepts and Practices. Alois F. Kertz, Outskirts Press, July 31, 2019, 166 pages. Amazon and Barnes & Noble availability. https://outskirtspress.com/dairycalfandheiferfeedingandmanagement
- Executive Vice President, American Registry of Professional Animal Scientists (ARPAS), www.arpas.org
- Founder and Principal, ANDHIL LLC, St. Louis, MO (2001-present)
- Dairy Field Technical Service and Research, Milk Specialties Global (2010-2012)
- International Director of Ruminant Nutrition, Agribrands International (formerly Ralston Purina International), St. Louis, MO (2000-2001)
- Director of Dairy Applied Research, Nutritional Consulting Program, and Technical Services, Purina Mills Inc., St. Louis, MO (1991-2000)
- Manager of Dairy and Ruminant Research, Purina Mills, St. Louis, MO (1975-1991)
- Dairy Nutritionist, Ralston Purina Co, St. Louis, MO (1973-1975)
- Food Supply Officer and Platoon Leader, U.S. Army Depot Operations, Sattahip, Thailand (1969-1970)
- Nutrition Research Officer, U.S. Army Natick Laboratories, Natick MA (1968-1969)
- B.S. 1967 Dairy Husbandry, University of Missouri-Columbia.
- M.S. 1968 Dairy Cattle Nutrition, University of Missouri-Columbia.
- Thesis: Effect of dietary protein intake on creatinine excretion and the creatinine-nitrogen ratio in bovine urine.
- Distinguished Military Graduate 1967 2nd Lieutenant via Army ROTC
- Ph.D. 1973 Animal Nutrition, Cornell University.
- Thesis: Some biochemical and cellular aspects of growth in cattle as influenced by breed, sex, level of intake, and stage of growth.
- 42 scientific journal articles
- Numerous popular press articles
- Extensive Purina publications for training and technical reference
- Numerous presentations to dairy producer groups within the U.S. and other countries
- Click on Publication & Presentation List for detailed listing
- American Dairy Science Association (www.adsa.org), past President
- American Society of Animal Science (www.asas.org)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (www.aaas.org)
- American Society for Nutrition (www.nutrition.org)
- Dairy Calf and Heifer Association (www.calfandheifer.org)
- American Registry of Professional Animal Scientists (PAS), President 2019-2020 (www.arpas.org), Charter Member and Diplomat of the American College of Animal Nutrition (DIPL ACAN).
Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities, 1967
Purina Research Fellowship, 1967-68 University of Missouri
Liberty Hyde Bailey Fellowship 1970-1973, Cornell University
Army Commendation Medal–Meritorius Service, 1969-1970 Thailand
American Dairy Science Association: Nutrition Professionals, Inc. Applied Dairy Nutrition Award 2006
Initial Inductee of Agricultural Leadership Society in 2007—University of Missouri College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources Alumni Association
Missouri Dairy Hall of Honors, 2017 Meritorious Service Award
Citation of Merit 2018 from Mizzou Ag Alumni Association and the College of
Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources
Award of Honor 2018, American Dairy Science Association
Fellow 2018, American Dairy Science Association
A. American Dairy Science Association
Student Affiliate Division
3rd Vice President 1966-67
Outstanding Member 1968
Chapter Activities Judge 1972
Nominating Committee 1974-75
Resolutions Committee 1975-78
Chair, Production Division 1977-78
Research Committee 1995-1997
ADSA Production Division
Vice Chair 1994-95
Annual Meeting Chair 1996-97
Futures Committee 1996-97
Representative to Food and Nutrition Board, National Research Council, 1980-86
MSD AGVET Dairy Management Research Award Committee, 1986-89
Chair, Annual meeting session on Calf Nutrition, 1985
Chair, Annual meeting session on Management, 1988
Feeding and Management Committee, 1988-91
Vice Chair 1988-90
Chaired Symposium on Nutritional Factors Affecting Animal Water and Waste Quality, 1990
Co-Chair, Borden Symposium, joint with Dairy Foods Division
American Cyanamid Research Award Committee, 1993
ADSA National Needs Dairy Committee, 1993-1995
Chair, Program Planning Committee, 1995
Young Industry Science Award Committee, 1993-1996
Outstanding Young Agribusiness Award Committee, 1993-97
Nominating Committee, 1994-95
Innovation in Dairy Research Award Committee, 1998-2001
International Dairy Production Award Selection Committee, 2000-2003
International Relations Committee, 2002-2005
ADSA Selection Committees
Nutrition Professionals, Inc Applied Dairy Nutrition Award, 2007-2010
ADSA Centennial Planning and Budget Committee, 2001-2006
ADSA S-PAC (Searchable Proceedings Animal Conferences) Advisory Committee
ADSA S-PAC Management Committee
ADSA DISCOVER Conference Organizing Program Committees except for the 23rd
14th on May 18-21, 2008 at Nashville, IN
Lipids for Dairy Cattle: Today’s issues, Tomorrow’s Challenges
15th on November 16-19, 2008 at Roanoke, VA
Biology of the Calf: Birth to 4 Month
Presentation on: Maturation of the digestive system into a functioning ruminant
23rd on May 29-June 1, 2012 at Itasca, IL
Bovine Immunology: The Intersection of Innate and Acquired Immunity
Presentation on: Yeast culture / probiotics
25th on May 28-31, 2013 at Itasca, IL
New Developments in Immunity, Nutrition, and Management of the Preruminant Calf
Presentation on: Does the Formulation and Physical Form of a Calf Starter Make any Difference to the Calf?
36th on May 28-31, 2019
Lipids in Dairy Nutrition: From Feed to Milk Fat
ADSA Foundation Board of Trustees, 2001-2007
ADSA Production Division Nominations Committee, Chair 2008
ADSA Board of Directors, 2006-2009 ADSA Internal Affairs Committee, 2008-2009
ADSA Membership Committee, Chair 2008-2009
ADSA Secretary-Treasurer, 2009-2012
ADSA Vice-President, 2013-2014
ADSA President, 2014-2015
ADSA Past President, 2015-2016
ADSA EAAP (European Federation of Animal Production) representative, 2014-2018
B. Journal of Dairy Science
Editorial Board, 2013-
C. FASS, Inc. (formerly Federation of Animal Science Societies)
Board Member, 2015-2018
Past President 2017-2018
D. American Registry of Animal Scientists (ARPAS), 1987-
Editorial Board, The Prof. Animal Scientist, 1992-96, 2007-2013, 2017-2020
Associate Editor, The Prof. Animal Scientist, 1996-2000
Charter Member and Diplomat American College of Animal Nutrition (ACAN) 1995-
Executive Vice President, 2021-
E. National Research Council Nutrient Requirements of Dairy Cattle,
7th REVISED edition, 2001. Reviewer.
F. Feedstuffs (The Weekly Newspaper for Agribusiness) Columnist, Dairy Focus Issue,
Beginning September 10, 2001.
G. Hoard’s Dairyman (The National Dairy Farm Magazine) Feeding Columnist, Beginning Fall 2001.
H. Hoard’s Dairyman en espanol, beginning 2005
I. The Progressive Dairy beginning 2019.
J. St. Louis Agri-Business Club, 2001-
K. USDA National Agricultural Research, Extension, Education, and Economics Advisory Board, 2003- 2006.
L. Public Policy Committee of Missouri Catholic Conference 2004-2007, 2008-2011, Chair 2006-2007
M. Associate Editor, co-organizer, and presenter: Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Dairy Cow Nutrition and Milk Quality, 7 to 9 May 2011, Beijing, China.
N. Associate Editor, co-organizer, and presenter; Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Dairy Cow Nutrition and Milk Quality, 11 to 13 May 2013, Beijing, China.
O. Associate Editor, co-organizer, and presenter; Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Dairy Cow Nutrition and Milk Quality, 8 to 10 May 2015, Beijing, China
P. Associate Editor, co-organizer, and presenter; Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Dairy Cow Nutrition and Milk Quality, 5 to 7 May 2017, Beijing, China
Q. EAAP (European Federation of Animal Science)
ADSA representative 2014 to 2018
Individual professional member 2014 to 2018
English and some spoken Thai.